Spicy Collard Greens
2 lbs collard greens * 5 slices thick bacon diced (smoked, no nitrates) 1 large onion diced 3/4 cup chicken broth 3 tablespoons cider vinegar 1 tablespoon brown sugar â€“ or honey 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Â½ teaspoon tabasco or other hot sauce Salt and pepper *I used turnip greens, Swiss chard and some red cabbage that had been sitting in my fridge Instructions:
- Use knife to cut out large rib in collard greens â€“ compost. Â Â Stack leaves and roll up then cut into Â¼ inch strips.
- Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Â Remove with slotted spoon to a paper towel lived plate.
- Add onion to bacon fat and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add broth, vinegar, sugar/honey, red pepper flakes and tabasco to pot and stir to combine.
- Add collard/mixed greens and turn or mix them occasionally. Â Cover turn heat to low and cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- 6. Before serving, sprinkle bacon on top and season to taste with salt and pepper.