Sausage & Eggplant One Pot Pasta
Make use of your fall eggplants with this quick pasta.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 links Italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 generous pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces pasta (shells, spirals, bowtie, etc)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large, shallow pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the sausage. Cook, breaking the sausage up with a spoon, until the sausage is browned and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in the zucchini and eggplant. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the pasta and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 11-12 minutes, or until pasta is cooked al dente and most of the water is evaporated.
- Add the sausage, spinach, and parmesan. Stir until the spinach is wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, drizzle with 2-3 tbsp of olive oil.