Kale & Pimento Crustless Quiche
• Olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup chopped mushrooms
• 1/2 small pimento pepper, halved and thinly sliced
• ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
• ½ bunch kale, chopped (about 3-4 cups)
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 3 large eggs
• ⅓ cup egg whites
• ⅔ cup milk
• ⅓ cup feta cheese
• ⅓ cup cheddar cheese
• fresh chopped parsley and pimento pepper, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with olive oil
2. Coat a large skillet with olive oil and turn heat to medium-high. Add onion, garlic, pimento, mushrooms, kale, dried Italian seasoning, and pepper.
3. Cook mixture, stirring occasionally and adding a tablespoon or two of water if the pan gets too dry, until onions are translucent and kale and mushrooms have wilted.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and milk. Season with an additional pinch of pepper. Spread onion, mushroom, pimento and kale mixture on the bottom of prepared quiche dish. Sprinkle on the feta and cheddar cheese.
5. Pour egg mixture over top and push under any ingredients not covered by the egg mixture to prevent burning. Bake uncovered until set and golden brown around edges, about 25 minutes. Let quiche rest at room temperature for 10-12 minutes, then cut into four slices, top with fresh pimento and parsley.