CHEESY HAM AND POTATO SOUP
SERVES 6! Not sure what to do with your Thanksgiving ham leftovers? Try this delicious ham and potato soup with our favourite ingredient... cheese!
Here is your shopping list! These items are in addition to your leftovers you already have.
- 1 Yellow onion
- bone broth
- frozen corn
- Bothwell old cheddar cheese
FULL INGREDIENT LIST:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion,diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups leftover ham, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp flour, separated
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- ¼ tsp ground sage (or poultry seasoning)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 ½ cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- Start by shredding the cheddar cheese and tossing it with 1 tbps flour and set aside at room temperature.
- In a large pot, heat the oil, onions, celery and carrots over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the ham and garlic, cooking for about 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ⅓ cup of flour and gently toss to coat everything and heat for another 2 minutes. Add in the leftover mashed potatoes, stirring to break them apart a bit. Increase heat to medium high and add the chicken broth, cream and seasonings. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium low to allow the soup to simmer. Add the corn and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and gradually add in the cheese, stirring well to combine. Garnish with green onions or parsley if desired. Enjoy!