Caramelized Onion and Tomato Galette
Check out this recipe from Chef Cryssi featuring your Week 5 Summer Food Box ingredients!
- 3-4 Beefsteak tomatoes, sliced and salted
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup soft goat cheese
- ¼ cup sorrel, chopped
- 4 garlic scapes, diced fine
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups Bothwell Old Cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups Bothwell Muenster, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Ailsa Craig Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Red Tropeana onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pie crust (pre-made or from scratch), unbaked
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice tomatoes, then layer in a deep dish. Salt each layer well. Set aside while making the rest of the filling.
- In a mixer, beat cream cheese and goat cheese until creamy.
- Add garlic scapes, sorrel and basil. Mix well.
- Fold in cheddar andMuenster. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed. Set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt butter and sauté onions until caramelized (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and place onions in a separate bowl.
- Drain any excess water from tomatoes.
- Roll out the pie crust until it is large enough to drape over the sides of the cast iron skillet.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture over the bottom of the pie crust then layer tomatoes on top of the cheese mixture.
- Drop the other half of the cheese mixture over the tomatoes by the spoonful.
- Spread caramelized onions over the entire surface.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool galette for at least 30 minutes before serving. This allows time for the juices to set.